Harbour View have scored back-to-back victories for the first time this season and Fabian Taylor, the coach of the Red Stripe Premier League outfit, says his players are feeling much more confident about themselves as the new year approaches.The Stars of the East who have been struggling in the bottom half of the table all season, registered 3-0 and 2-0 wins over Montego Bay United and Mount Pleasant respectively, in their last two encounters.These victories have pushed Harbour View up from tenth to ninth in the standings on 19 points. Reno with 17, Montego Bay 16 and Dunbeholden 13, are the bottom three teams in the competition.Taylor, who recently took over the head coaching duties following the resignation of Ricardo Gardner, said the team has been playing much better over the past two games, but they still have a lot of work to do.”I am feeling a little better than before knowing that we have won two straight games with zero goals against,” said Taylor.Still work to do”We have been struggling to win games and to win two on the trot at the end of the year is very pleasing,” he said.”We still have a lot of work to do. We just have to keep our heads down and work a little harder,” Taylor said.He pointed out that his players have been working harder in training because they are a lot more committed and focused.He added that his club will be very active when the transfer window opens next week as they are set to lose a number of players.”We are probably going to lose some players, but I don’t want to mention their names as yet. So we are going to have to bring in players,” Taylor stated.The Premier League is set to resume on January 6.
Three-time RJRGLEANER National Sportswoman of the Year, Alia Atkinson has called for more support for Jamaican athletes who are striving to become world beaters. Speaking after she captured her third title at a glittering awards function at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel on Friday night, the 30-year-old swimmer said that a lot more emphasis should be placed on improving the lives of the country’s athletes in their quest to achieve greatness. “My vision is that sports associations will have as their primary goal the support and funding of their athletes so that these athletes will be able to represent their country based on their God-given talent and work ethic and not get left behind because of the lack of funds,” said Atkinson. “I envision a day when our athletes don’t have to worry to pay for their sporting equipment or a day when we don’t have to pay to get our way to competitions,” she said. “We love our athletes, but we can do more, and athletes can do more,” Atkinson said. She added: “I envision a day when we will be the example of the Caribbean, not solely based on the popularity of sports or athletes, but on the management, communication, and transparency of our associations and federations.” Atkinson, who had an outstanding year last season, where she broke her own world record in the 50m breaststroke at the FINA World Cup, collected two other major awards at the function. These were the Gleaner Iconic Award and the People’s Choice ‘Performance of the Year’ Award for her world-record swim. There was a tie for the Sportswoman of the Year runner-up spot with triple jumper Kimberly Williams and shot-putter Danniel Thomas-Dodd sharing the honour after both won gold at the Commonwealth Games and silver at the World Indoor Championships in their respective events. Fedrick Dacres took home the Sportsman of the Year trophy after an outstanding season last year. The runner-up was 110m hurdler Ronald Levy, the national champion and Commonwealth Games gold medallist. Dacres was elated after collecting his prize. “I feel good because I am the top sportsman for last year and so I am just thankful,” said Dacres. REAPING THE REWARDS “A lot of hard work went into this and I am just reaping the rewards,” said Dacres while adding that he also plans to break the national record this season. “I am always trying to go for the national record, and so, yes, I will be going for it again this season,” he said. After breaking his own national record with a throw of 69.67m, Dacres’ year went from strength to strength as he won the 2018 Commonwealth Games gold medal in his event before taking the diamond for discus on the IAAF Diamond League circuit and NACAC gold in Toronto, Canada. In other top awards handed out on Friday night, Reggae Girl Jody Brown was presented with the Youth Award for her outstanding performances during Jamaica’s successful qualification for the FIFA Women’s World Cup in France while Jamaica Chess Federation President Ian Wilkinson was selected by Gary Allen, chairman of the RJRGLEANER Sports Foundation and CEO of the RJRGLEANER Group, for the very prestigious Chairman’s Award.
LATEST STORIES MOST READ Steaming fissures on Taal Volcano Island spotted Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Before setting off to this city baked by summer sun and hot desert winds, Pacquiao still squeezed in four rounds of sparring with AB Lopez and did mitts with chief trainer Buboy Fernandez in Los Angeles.Inside the ring at Wild Card’s basement gym, Pacquiao rehearsed a particular nine-punch combo with Fernandez.Pacquiao threw seven punches in blinding speed. Then, very quickly, he bounced to Fernandez’s left and threw two more power punches.“Ganda! (beautiful),” Pacquiao exclaimed after the well-executed sequence, pointing at the ceiling as the crowd applauded.His conditioning coach, Justin Fortune, said he’s up for a short morning jog at University of Nevada Las Vegas and a few rounds in mitts at Bones Adams Gym at lunchtime on Tuesday before the ceremony at the lobby.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Can Thurman check in primed like Pacquiao? Benefits of township living LAS VEGAS—Manny Pacquiao arrived here at dusk on Monday just when this city began to light up.ADVERTISEMENT Both protagonists are already here, though the “Grand Arrivals” show is set for Tuesday afternoon at the hotel’s vast lobby.“I’m continuing my career because boxing is my passion. I [still] have lots to do in [boxing], especially because God gave me these blessings and favors—good health, speed and power.”For Pacquiao, it’s all about giving the fans what they want: an all-out performance every single fight.Promoter Premier Boxing Champions reported a brisk sale of tickets, and early predictions point to more pay-per-view interest compared to his fight last January against Adrien Broner, which netted a decent 400,000 buys.“In balancing my body conditioning, my mind, and how I work hard, it depends on how I focus and work hard in training. Right now, I still hunger [for fights] and I’m still enjoying this and happy to do training preparation for the fight,” said Pacquiao.ADVERTISEMENT MRT-3 files raps vs engineer who brought ammunition to station Sons Of Apollo releases new studio album ‘MMXX’ LOOK: LJ Reyes, Paolo Contis celebrate 1st birthday of baby Summer ‘Marawi hero’ is new commander of Army’s 1st Infantry Division Duterte lambasts Catholic Church anew in curse-laden speech before Filipino Baptists Once again he will headline Saturday evening (Sunday in Manila) along with the likes of Sin City regulars David Copperfield and Barry Manilow. Their faces were among those adorning the giant marquees on gleaming buildings around the strip.“I just want to keep my name at the top of boxing and continue my career. I already accomplished what I want to accomplish in boxing,” said Pacquiao before hitting the road from Los Angeles.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsIt is clear that the 40-year-old boxing megastar—and a senator of the republic back home—knows very well that he is on an extended run of a blockbuster career.This time around, it’s the brash, unbeaten Keith Thurman who hopes to be the perfect foil when they clash for the WBA welterweight crown at MGM Grand here. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:06Manny Pacquiao trains in LA for last time before Keith Thurman fight03:16Manny Pacquiao and Keith Thurman hold final press conference ahead of bout02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu01:26Homes destroyed after Taal Volcano eruption02:48ABS-CBN franchise has ‘natural deadline,’ no need for quo warranto — Gatchalian Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Bridge extortionCommander of the Police A Division ((Georgetown-East Bank Demerara), Clifton Hicken has said motorists in Albouystown being financially extorted to gain access to their street was a criminal act and steps would be taken to address the illegality.Hicken, speaking to Guyana Times, disclosed that he was not aware of the criminal activity that was occurring in the community of Albouystown, despite two patrols being in the community.“I will have a patrol stationed at the point – immediately – of where this activity is happening even if they have to be stationed there for 24 hours,” the A Division Commander remarked.The Mayor and City Council over a month ago moved to block a dilapidated bridge at the junction of Sussex and Barr Streets in Albouystown, resulting in motorists allegedly being extorted to use the only other entrance for Barr Street.The bridge, which had been erected some years ago, was in a deplorable state, posing a serious threat to motorists. The bridge is visibly sinking in the centre, while the sides appear broken.The M&CC, early in June, took precautionary measures to have the bridge blocked, which the residents of Albouystown applauded after the Councillor of the Albouystown/Charlestown constituency, Malcolm Ferreira had reported it.Now, the residents are complaining that the bridge has been blocked for too long and is now being used as an avenue for persons to make a dollar.With the bridge being blocked, Barr Street is now left with one entrance that persons are reportedly cordoning off at nights and charging residents to enter and to exit the community.Since the blocking of the bridge, no rehabilitation work has commenced. Residents said they were grateful for the consideration displayed by the M&CC to close the bridge to prevent any mishap, but were calling on the Council to begin repairs on the bridge immediately.Guyana Times understands that despite the actions of the M&CC, many residents have reportedly opted to remove the blockage from the bridge to use it; however, the M&CC would subsequently return to ensure the bridge was once again blocked.The City Engineer’s department disclosed that the sinking of the bridge was due to heavy vehicular traffic.
To the surprise of many, Capital edged out Standard Media in the semi-final after topping a Group B that had KBC, Radio Africa and NTV with 10 points.Other stars of the Capital team were sports reporter, Alex Isaboke, Break Fast presenter Maqbul Mohammed and Martin Kariuki, the creative guru and Emcee.Capital began on a high note after beating Media Select 1-0, then went on to humble Nation by the same score line with Isaboke scoring the all important goal.The third match saw Capital register the highest score of the tournament after edging out group favourites Radio Africa 3-1 to book a semi-final slot with a game to spare.The last preliminary game against KBC, Capital came a goal down to pick a point and storm the last four where they went on to eliminate Standard 2-1 on spot-kicks with keeper Anthony Kago saving the last kick.In the mouth watering final, Capital put a spirited fight against a star studded side, SuperSport that included former long serving Harambee Stars captain Musa Otieno, former player Simeone Mulama, Salim Ali, Reggae DJ and Swahili show Mchaka Mchaka reporter Chris Darlin to hold them to a barren first half.Both sides opted to sit back in the last period and with the decider destined to penalties but disaster struck to the Best Mix of Music team when Anita was put under pressure by the much taller Otieno to put through her keeper three minutes to the final whistle.Capital were awarded runners trophy and medals, their first ever.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000NAIROBI, Kenya, September 12 – An own goal by sassy newscaster Anita Nderu cost a spirited Capital FM the title in the SuperSport Media Day football final after they fell 1-0 to the host team in a gripping final.Anita, who was in goal, turned the ball into her own net on the dying embers of the match for the decisive goal in a keenly competed final.
1 Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has been hit with a Football Association misconduct charge in relation to Sunday’s FA Cup celebrations.The Gunners ace took to the microphone to mock the club’s fierce rivals Tottenham during the victory parade which followed his side’s 4-0 triumph over Aston Villa at Wembley.Wilshere led the massed ranks of Arsenal supporters in a chant which included expletives against Spurs, who again finished below their north London neighbours in the Premier League table.On Monday, Wilshere apologised if his actions had caused any offence and was spoken to by Arsenal staff on the issues.However, the FA has now launched formal disciplinary proceedings.A statement read: “Jack Wilshere has been charged with misconduct in relation to Arsenal’s FA Cup celebrations on Sunday 31 May 2015.“It is alleged his conduct in making and/or inciting certain comments during the club’s open bus trophy tour was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.“The player has until 6pm on 10 June 2015 to respond to the charge.”Wilshere had been warned by the FA following similar comments during the 2014 celebrations, and it is understood the latest outburst prompted the formal disciplinary action and may well result in a fine.Arsenal issued a swift apology from the studio presenter during their in-house media broadcast of the event on Sunday.While falling short of saying sorry for making the remarks, Wilshere used a Twitter post to apologise to anyone who had been upset by them.”Sharing back2back Cup wins with so many amazing Gooners is a dream come true. Apologies if I upset or offended any of u with my celebrations,” he wrote.Wilshere, who is set to join up with England this week for the June internationals, received support from fans, with the chair of the Arsenal Independent Supporters Association claiming the player’s outburst showed that he ”totally understands what it is to be an Arsenal supporter”.However, former Gunners striker Niall Quinn said Wilshere had ”overstepped the mark”.On the pitch, Arsenal are expected to return from their summer break a stronger unit as manager Arsene Wenger targets a sustained assault on the Barclays Premier League title following back-to-back FA Cup triumphs.Arsenal are intent on improving the squad over the summer, with Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech one transfer target said to be keen to secure a switch across London to the Emirates Stadium. Arsenal
A total of 180 seasonal jobs with the Central Statistics Office will be offered across Donegal in the coming weeks.The Central Statistics Office is looking to recruit a total of 4,600 people to distribute and collect forms for this year’s census, with 180 of these posts based locally.The application process is open at census.ie from 9am today until this Friday, January 8th. As there is a cap on the number of applications, people are urged to apply quickly.The contract will be for 10 weeks, with potential earnings of around €2,500.APPLICATIONS ON OFFER FOR 180 CENSUS JOBS IN DONEGAL was last modified: January 5th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
There have been a few high profile training ground bust-ups to be caught on camera in the run up to the start of the new season.Barcelona’s Neymar was filmed involved in a confrontation and Liverpool target Naby Keita got into a spot of bother after hacking down a team-mate with a feisty challenge in RB Leipzig training.Borussia Dortmund is now the latest club to try and keep two of its players calm as French starlet Ousmane Dembele had to be restrained after getting into an angry skirmish with goalkeeper Roman Burki.It is unknown what sparked the war of words between the duo but new Dortmund manager Peter Bosz will hope they have made up by now.
1 Liverpool midfielder Emre Can has agreed a deal to join Italian giants Juventus in the summer, according to reports.The 23-year-old is out of contract with the Reds at the end of the season, so is free to begin negotiations with foreign clubs during the January transfer window.Can has been linked with a move to Turin for months, with the Germany international stalling on a new contract at Anfield.Liverpool are still hoping they can convince Can to stay, with Jurgen Klopp seeing him as a big part of his future plans at the club.But Sky Italy claim the midfielder has already decided to leave and has agreed a deal in principle to join Italian champions Juve.It represents a blow to Klopp’s plans for the future at Liverpool.German coach had reportedly hoped countryman Can would form a strong midfield partnership with Naby Keita, when he finally arrives from RB Leipzig in the summer.Can is seen by many fans as a frustrating figure at Anfield – the midfielder has bags of potential but appears to lack focus on the pitch and often comes in for criticism.Still at 23-years-old, though, he has room to improve and losing him for free would be a big loss for the Reds.Can has made 25 appearances in all competitions for Liverpool this season, scoring four goals. Emre Can is yet to commit to a new contract at Liverpool