Funding of more than €12,000 for Gaoth Dobhair Golf Club for new machinery to maintain the course has been granted, it has been announced. The announcement, made by Joe McHugh, will come as a massive boost to the community in west Donegal.Minister McHugh said: “Galf Chumann Gaoth Dobhair does great work promoting the Irish language and acting as a great outlet for the local community and attracting tourists and visitors to the area. “This latest €12,000 funding will help ensure the course is as good as it can be.“The announcement of the grant is just a few weeks since I was able to confirm Government funding of about €13,000 for repair and refurbishment work on the clubhouse.“Tá súil agam go dtabharfaidh an t-airgead seo an deis don chlub an Ghaeilge a chur chun cinn i measc na baill, an pobal áitiúil agus do thurasóirí sa cheantair.”“These two grants will go hand in hand to bring the golf club up to a great standard and help the members to continue the great work they are doing promoting the Irish language among local people and visitors.” The grants were approved by the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht as part of the Government’s Action Plan 2018-2022 for Irish, which was launched in June 2018.Equipment funding of more than €12,000 granted to Gaoth Dobhair Golf Club was last modified: February 11th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal fundinggolfGweedore Golf ClubJoe McHugh
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Firefighters at Fort Hood have contained wildfires that began two weeks in the central Texas post’s training range areas, allowing officials on Tuesday to end a suspension of live-fire gunnery exercises. At one point, the fires covered about 8,500 acres; it was unclear how many acres still were burning, reported Stars and Stripes. Installation officials reported that a new fire broke out Tuesday, but said it posed no immediate danger to personnel or structures, reported the Killeen Daily Herald. … Lawmakers and other officials last week held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for an $8 million indoor firing range at Youngstown Air Reserve Station in northeast Ohio. One of the selling points in securing DOD funding for the project is the base will make it available to local law enforcement agencies, Sen. Rob Portman (R) told the crowd. A large door will allow police to bring a patrol car onto the range for additional training, reported WFMJ.Photo courtesy of WFMJ
WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Community Fund’s 2018 Holiday Ornament has gone is now on sale. The holiday ornament is available at Designs By Don (380 Main Street) and at the Recreation Department Office at Town Hall. The $10 ornament will also be sold at the upcoming WOW’s Festival of Trees at Villanova Hall on December 1-2 and the Town’s Annual Tree Lighting on the Town Common on December 1.Last year’s ornament is available for $5, while prior years’ ornaments are available for just $1.All proceeds will benefit the Wilmington Community Fund. The Fund has three major goals: (1) provide direct relief to Wilmington families, individuals, the elderly and children; (2) provide basic needs — heat, light, utilities, emergency assistance and medical relief; and (3) provide food products on a bimonthly basis to those in need.2018 Wilmington Holiday Ornament(NOTE: The above information is from the Wilmington Community Fund.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedPHOTO: First Look At 2017 Wilmington Holiday OrnamentIn “Photo of the Day”PHOTO: First Look At 2016 Wilmington Holiday OrnamentIn “Community”PHOTO OF THE DAY: First Look At 2015 Wilmington Holiday OrnamentIn “Photo of the Day”
Wreckage from the USS Lexington, a US aircraft carrier which sank during World War II, has been found in the Coral Sea, a search team led by Microsoft co-founder Paul G. Allen on 5 March. Photo: AFPWreckage from the USS Lexington, a US aircraft carrier which sank during World War II, has been discovered in the Coral Sea, a search team led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen announced Monday.The wreckage was found Sunday by the team’s research vessel, the R/V Petrel, some 3,000 meters (two miles) below the surface more than 500 miles (800 kilometres) off the eastern coast of Australia.The search team released pictures and video of the Lexington, one of the first ever US aircraft carriers, and some of the planes which went down with the ship.Remarkably preserved aircraft could be seen on the seabed bearing the five-pointed star insignia of the US Army Air Forces on their wings and fuselage.On one aircraft, an emblem of the cartoon character Felix the Cat can be seen along with four miniature Japanese flags presumably depicting “kills.”The search team also released pictures and video of parts of the ship, including a name-plate, and anti-aircraft guns covered in decades of slime.The USS Lexington and another US aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown, fought against three Japanese aircraft carriers from May 4-8, 1942 in the Battle of the Coral Sea, the first ever between carriers.The badly damaged Lexington, nicknamed “Lady Lex,” was deliberately sunk by another US warship at the conclusion of the battle.More than 200 members of the crew died in the battle but most were rescued by other US vessels before the Lexington sank.Admiral Harry Harris, who heads up the US military’s Pacific Command (PACOM) — and whose father was one of the sailors evacuated — paid tribute to the successful research effort.”As the son of a survivor of the USS Lexington, I offer my congratulations to Paul Allen and the expedition crew of Research Vessel (R/V) Petrel for locating the ‘Lady Lex,’ sunk nearly 76 years ago at the Battle of Coral Sea,” Harris said in a statement.”We honor the valor and sacrifice of the ‘Lady Lex’s’ Sailors — and all those Americans who fought in World War II — by continuing to secure the freedoms they won for all of us,” he said.The USS Lexington was carrying 35 aircraft when it went down.The search team said that 11 planes had been found including Douglas TBD-1 Devastators, Douglas SBD-3 Dauntlesses and Grumman F4F-3 Wildcats.”Lexington was on our priority list because she was one of the capital ships that was lost during WWII,” said Robert Kraft, director of subsea operations for Allen.”Based on geography, time of year and other factors, I work with Paul Allen to determine what missions to pursue. We’ve been planning to locate the Lexington for about six months and it came together nicely,” Kraft said in a statement.Search teams led by Allen have discovered the wreckage of a number of historic warships including the USS Indianapolis, a US heavy cruiser which sank in the Philippine Sea in July 1945 after being torpedoed by a Japanese submarine.