Power outage disrupts SoCal air traffic

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Koleszar said there was also a malfunction in the back-up generating system, which should have kicked in immediately. At Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, travelers remained calm after hearing news of delays. Locals left the airport altogether, while travelers from out of town whipped out cell phones to cancel plans. Jane Davis held her head in her hand when she heard of her flight delay. As a result, she would miss all her connecting flights to Pennsylvania and would have to come back to the airport on Thursday, in hope of making it to a 50th reunion party in time. “This is the first flight I was going to take in years,” said Davis, a La Crescenta resident. PALMDALE – A power outage at a key air traffic control center disrupted flights in and out of Southern California airports for more than an hour Tuesday, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said. Power was reported out shortly after 5:30 p.m. at the Los Angeles Air Route Traffic Control Center in Palmdale and was restored about 90 minutes later, said Allen Kenitzer, a regional spokesman for the FAA. “The generator kicked in, and backup power was re-established,” Kenitzer said. The FAA said the cause of the problem was not known. But Garth Koleszar, a facility representative of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association for the Palmdale center, said he heard in a briefing that “a truck accident or auto accident took out power to the facility.” “I started driving to Pennsylvania, but I got in an accident. My friend Margaret convinced me to fly. I guess I’m not driving and I’m not flying.” The high desert air traffic facility handles high-altitude aircraft in Southern California and parts of Arizona, Nevada and Utah. Such an outage can cause backups in air traffic nationwide, Kenitzer said. Smaller facilities were helping the center communicate with a large volume of planes that were in the air and heading to the region, Kenitzer said. “Safety is never compromised, but obviously it’s caused an inconvenience,” he said. Some planes on lower-altitude routes were able to take off and land, said Harold Johnson, a spokesman for Los Angeles International Airport.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Rangers clinch first Premiership win of season against Dundee

first_imgHaving sold star man Greg Stewart to Birmingham on Friday, Dark Blues boss Paul Hartley went with the same side that defeated Ross County 3-1 last weekend.Gers, meanwhile, made six changes to the line-up which romped past Peterhead in the Betfred Cup on Tuesday, with Miller given the nod ahead of Joe Dodoo to deputise for injured frontman Martyn Waghorn.The game took time to warm up but once it did, it was compelling stuff.When the sides met in the William Hill Scottish Cup last season, it took Forrester just 14 seconds to fire his side ahead. This time, it took 14 minutes. Dundee failed to cope with a Rangers raid down the right and Barrie McKay was allowed to knock a loose ball into the box. Forrester still had it all to do as Cammy Kerr put him under pressure but he did well to hook an impressive finish into the top corner.The hosts tried to counter with a Danny Williams effort which Rangers goalkeeper Wes Foderingham gathered comfortably.But Gers were quickly back on the front foot. Andy Halliday sent Wallace down the right but Forrester fired over from the skipper’s cut-back before the former Doncaster playmaker headed over from a James Tavernier cross.Their second goal after 39 minutes, however, was clinically executed as McKay clipped a perfect ball forward for Wallace to sprint on to. The captain pulled the ball back again, with the on-rushing Miller rifling the ball into the roof of the net.The 36-year-old should have killed the Taysiders’ challenge off moments later but allowed Scott Bain to pinch the ball as he tried to round the keeper.And instead of going in at the break 3-0 up, suddenly their lead was cut to one when Barton allowed O’Hara to bullet home a header from Williams’ corner in the final minute of the half.The tempo dropped a couple of notches as the second period got under way but Rangers relaxed too much on 65 minutes when Williams was allowed to run in behind. Foderingham, though, came to the rescue.The keeper was almost at fault, however, when he fired a clearance straight at Nick Ross, but was relieved when Dundee substitute Yordi Teijsse could not provide a finish.Forrester, booked just two minutes after the break, was then replaced by Michael O’Halloran to ensure there was no chance he might be sent off after a couple more risky challenges.McKay should have made added a gloss to the scoreline when another of Gers’ replacements, Dodoo, sent him galloping through on goal, but he nudged his stoppage-time effort wide. Rangers gave a signal of their intentions as they battled to their first Scottish Premiership victory of the new season with a 2-1 win at Dundee.First-half strikes from Harry Forrester and Kenny Miller put the Light Blues two up as Mark Warburton’s side produced some tidy attacks.However, Mark O’Hara – relishing a new advanced midfield role – gave Dundee hope just before the interval when he lost Joey Barton at a corner to score.Dundee made Gers graft in the second half but the newly-promoted Ibrox side held on to collect their first top-flight success since beating St Johnstone 4-0 back in May, 2012.last_img read more