Five U.N. Chadian peacekeepers killed by bomb, gunfire in northern Mali

first_imgFive United Nations peacekeepers from Chad were killed and three were wounded in northern Mali on Wednesday when their vehicle hit an improvised explosive device and unknown gunmen opened fire, the United Nations said in a statement late on Wednesday.Northern Mali is home to a separatist movement as well as to Islamist militants who have staged a series of high profile attacks in the past year both in Mali and in neighboring countries such as Burkina Faso.A peace accord signed last year was meant to bring stability to the arid region, but attacks against the U.N. mission, Malian military and civilians are still frequent.The U.N. Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) was established in April 2013 with a mandate that includes supporting the political process, monitoring human rights and protecting the civilian population.The U.N. said on Wednesday that 12 peacekeepers had been killed since the start of the year in dozens of attacks against the force in the Kidal region, where Wednesday’s assault took place.However, the U.N. would continue to support the implementation of the peace agreement in Mali, it said in the statement.-Reuterslast_img read more

‘Worried’ Mourinho regrets team selection

first_imgFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho criticised his players – and said he regretted his team selection – after the defeat against Newcastle. The Blues were beaten 2-0 at St James’ Park, where on-loan QPR striker Loic Remy’s late goal sealed the Magpies’ victory.It brought an abrupt end to Chelsea’s excellent recent run, which had seen them win six matches in a row.AdChoices广告“We deserved to lose. We were too soft with and without the ball,” said Mourinho.Remy scored Newcastle’s second goal“We gave Newcastle 45 minutes of a friendly and it was only when they scored the [first] goal we had a reaction. I think it was a really bad performance by us.“I made 11 mistakes. I should have picked the other 11 and not this one, and it’s the feeling I have when my team plays so bad.“Of course I’m exaggerating, because I have some players in good form, but the feeling is that I made 11 wrong choices.”And Mourinho added that the performance was worryingly reminiscent of Chelsea displays during recent seasons in which they failed to sustain a title challenge.He explained: “I am worried. I saw the previous years and the same happened – the team was successful in cup competitions and they were not successful in the Premier League.“This season we have played five matches away in the league and we have one victory and two defeats. It does concern me.” 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center_img See also:Remy strikes as Chelsea suffer defeatNewcastle v Chelsea player ratingsMourinho admits away form is a concern ahead of West Ham game last_img read more

Chelsea fans on Twitter impressed by Kenedy and Traore

first_imgGutted to exit the cup this early, Traore and Kenedy looked bright in their cameos, on to Liverpool on Saturday #CFC — Matt Bennett (@MattBennettSw6) October 27, 2015 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Chelsea fans on Twitter have been lauding youngsters Kenedy and Bertrand Traore following their appearances against Stoke on Tuesday.Brazilian teenager Kenedy (pictured) demonstrated his potential after being brought on midway through the second half, while Traore, 20, added energy to the side in extra time.With Chelsea struggling in the league, some supporters want to see more of the promising duo. AdChoices广告center_img Last night also a reminder that in Traore and Kenedy we have very usable impact players. The latter especially can cope with pressure.— Will Dubey (@willd268) October 28, 2015Must say Kenedy & Traore offered the team that little bit of pace,directness & something new to the line up. — Reevesy (@DavidTReeves) October 28, 2015Loic Remy, who scored the injury-time equaliser that forced extra time, had mixed reviews from Chelsea fans, however.I’ve said it before, Remy is easily our second best striker if not right up there with Costa. He guarantees goals— Ɲick (@ChelseaHustla) October 28, 2015last_img read more

Cards replace Yanks as White Sox opponent at Field of Dreams

first_img WATCH US LIVE The St. Louis Cardinals have replaced the New York Yankees as the opponent for the Chicago White Sox in the Field of Dreams game on Aug. 13 at Dyersville, Iowa.The schedule change caused by the new coronavirus pandemic meant the White Sox no longer play the Yankees this season. The new opponent, first reported by The Des Moines Register, was confirmed to The Associated Press by a person familiar with the arrangements who spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the matchup has not been announced.Major League Baseball hopes to announce its new schedule next week. Each team will play 60 games, 40 against division rivals and 20 against teams in the corresponding regional division in the other league.“We hope to have the option to play,” MLB said in a statement. “Construction is continuing and we are following all CDC and state protocols regarding recommended safety practices, including social distancing, washing hands, and temperature checks before arriving to the site.”It remains unclear whether fans would be allowed at the game, which is to be televised nationally by Fox.”We are monitoring ongoing events and plan to remain as flexible as these circumstances demand,” MLB said.A temporary 8,000-seat stadium is nearing completion at the site, about 200 miles west of Chicago, adjacent to where the movie was filmed on a diamond in a cornfield. This would be the major league game played in Iowa.The movie, released in 1989, starred Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, James Earl Jones, Burt Lancaster and Ray Liotta.Image credits: AP COMMENT Last Updated: 2nd July, 2020 06:43 IST Cards Replace Yanks As White Sox Opponent At Field Of Dreams The St. Louis Cardinals have replaced the New York Yankees as the opponent for the Chicago White Sox in the Field of Dreams game on Aug. 13 at Dyersville, Iowa First Published: 2nd July, 2020 06:43 IST SUBSCRIBE TO UScenter_img Written By LIVE TV Associated Press Television News FOLLOW USlast_img read more

Suspect allegedly chased Delaware state trooper before gunning him down, police say

first_imgpikepicture/iStock/Thinkstock(MIDDLETOWN, De.) — The 26-year-old suspect who allegedly shot and killed a Delaware state trooper on Wednesday chased the officer before gunning him down, police said.The suspect, identified as Burgon Sealy, allegedly shot 32-year-old Cpl. Stephen Ballard, and then fled to his home, where he held a 20-hour standoff with police. He was later shot and killed by police after he emerged carrying a weapon, ABC affiliate WPVI reported.Here is a timeline of how the standoff unfolded:WednesdayAround 10 a.m.Ballard observed what police described as a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot of a Wawa convenience store in Bear, Delaware on the Pulaski Highway. In a press conference Thursday, state police said that they think Ballard “had a reason to stop” the red Dodge Charger and that it could have been “drug involvement.”The trooper, dressed in full uniform, made contact with both the driver and the passenger, who showed their IDs, police said. When Ballard walked to the passenger side of the car, he asked Sealy to step out of the vehicle, and a struggle ensued.Sealy allegedly removed a firearm from his waistband and pursued Ballard in the parking lot. Ballard tried to take cover behind a parked vehicle, but when he fell, Sealy allegedly fired several rounds at him, striking him.The driver of the car stayed on the scene until more troopers arrived and was taken into custody without incident. He was later released.Ballard was treated on the scene and transported to a local hospital.Around 3 p.m.All schools in the Appoquinimink School District in the Middletown, Delaware area are placed on lockdown amid the search for Sealy.Around 4:45 p.m.State police announce at a press conference that Ballard has succumbed to his injuries and that Sealy had barricaded himself in his home on St. Michaels Drive in the Brick Mill Farm development.After he fled, Sealy had contacted family members to inform them that he had shot the trooper, police said. The family members then contacted law enforcement, who traced Sealy to his home.Sealy fired several rounds at police officers. Residents in the area were evacuated due to the gunfire.Hostage negotiators on the scene attempted to get information from the suspect and to obtain a “peaceful resolution,” police said.7:32 p.m.Delaware Gov. John Carney announced that U.S. and state flags will be flown at half-staff in Ballard’s honor.8:22 p.m.Sealy stopped making contact with police on the scene, who set up an explosive charge on the residence. Authorities did not enter the home but continued attempts to make contact with Sealy to persuade him to surrender.9:35 p.m.Police identify Ballard as the trooper who was killed. He was an eight-year veteran of the Delaware State Police, police said.Thursday4 a.m.Sealy allegedly began firing at officers again, and authorities continued to try to negotiate with him. The Odessa Fire Company had opened its facility to temporarily house the residents in the area who had been evacuated.9:17 a.m.Sealy exited the home with a weapon, according to officials. He was then shot by law enforcement.9:29 a.m.Sealy is pronounced dead on the scene. About 25 minutes later, police confirm to ABC News that the standoff is over.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more

Icardi misses open goals, foiled by VAR in Milan derby draw

first_imgInter Milan captain Mauro Icardi had a goal disallowed by the video replay system (VAR) and missed two open goals in the second half in a 0-0 draw with neighbours AC Milan in Serie A on Wednesday.Sassuolo scored an equaliser in the fifth minute of stoppage time with nine men to hold Chievo 1-1, Andrea Belotti grabbed a hat-trick in Torino’s 4-1 win over Crotone and table-propping Benevento beat Verona 3-0.Icardi thought he had put Inter ahead in the 38th minute when he broke clear of the Milan defence and slotted the ball past Gianluigi Donnarumma.Inter celebrated and the ball was returned to the centre circle before the referee indicated a video review and disallowed the goal for offside.The Argentine, Inter’s leading scorer with 25 league goals this season, also contrived to miss an open goal from six metres early in the second half.Antonio Candreva got behind the Inter defence and passed to Icardi who swept the ball wide with the goal at his mercy.Icardi, battling for inclusion in Argentina’s World Cup squad after being left out of last month’s friendlies, missed another chance in stoppage time from an almost identical position when he slid the ball wide from Joao Cancelo’s pass.Patrick Cutrone had the ball in the net for Milan in the second half with a bicycle kick but it was quickly disallowed for offside without VAR.“These are things that can happen, it’s disappointing because winning would have been important,” Inter coach Luciano Spalletti said.“I feel good because Inter played a game where we showed we know where we want to go. That’s the fundamental thing, the result comes afterwards.”Inter stayed fourth with 59 points and on course for the Champions League next season while Milan are sixth with 51.Wednesday’s games were originally scheduled to be played on March 4 but were postponed following the sudden death of Fiorentina team captain Davide Astori at the team hotel.CHIEVO DRAMAThere was plenty of drama at Chievo where Sassuolo had Claud Adjapong given a red card for a wild challenge on goalkeeper Stefano Sorrentino in the 29th minute.The referee initially awarded a yellow card but gave red after consulting VAR.Sassuolo then had a penalty revoked by VAR, Emanuele Giaccherini put Chievo ahead after 72 minutes and the visitors were reduced to nine men with a second yellow card for Francesco Magnanelli.The referee added seven minutes of stoppage time and Sassuolo equalised in the 95th minute when Francesco Cassata’s hopeful free kick evaded everyone in a crowded area and bounced into the goal to stun the Flying Donkeys.Torino striker Belotti opened the scoring against Crotone at the second attempt after 16 minutes and volleyed home from Iago Falque’s free kick to make it 3-0 before halftime, Falque having scored in between.He completed his hat-trick with an angled drive in the 68th minute before Davide Faraone scored a consolation for Crotone who are stuck in the relegation zone with 24 points, two adrift of safety.Serie A debutants Benevento beat Verona in a meeting of the bottom two teams to notch only their fourth win of the season, helped by two second-half goals from Cheick Diabate after Gaetano Letizia opened the scoring.They have 13 points, still nine adrift of Verona.last_img read more

Why simply eating more slowly could help you lose weight

first_imgIt’s often said that small changes can make a big difference to your weight over time, and now new research has identified three eating habits that could contribute to weight loss.And one of them is particularly simple to follow: just try and eat a little more slowly…After looking at data from 60,000 people with diabetes, scientists from Japan have concluded that slow eating speed is associated with a lower BMI and a smaller waist circumference.In the study, which has been published in the the journal BMJ Open, participants were given regular health checks over a period of five years, and quizzed about their lifestyles and eating habits, including the speed at which they ate.After comparing this information with their vital stats, the scientists concluded that slow eaters tended to be healthier than those who characterised their eating speed as fast or normal.The results showed that the slow eaters were 42% less likely to be obese compared to those who sped through their plate, while those who ate at a ‘normal’ speed had a 29% lower likelihood of obesity.Meanwhile, larger waist circumference was also linked to fast eating.Other eating habits that the team identified as being linked to lower rates of obesity included cutting out after-dinner snacks and not eating within two hours of going to bed, although skipping breakfast was not seen to have an effect.While this was just an observational study, meaning no conclusions can be drawn about cause and effect, eating quickly has previously been linked to issues with insulin resistance and glucose tolerance, both of which can affect weight.The team have hypothesised that it may take longer for fast eaters to feel full, which could increase their calorie intake.They concluded in a release: ‘Changes in eating habits can affect obesity, BMI, and waist circumference.‘Interventions aimed at reducing eating speed may be effective in preventing obesity and lowering the associated health risks.’Either way, we reckon it’s worth making an effort to savour your meals from now on!Sourcelast_img read more