Police Target Drivers Using Mobile Phones On Regions Roads

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInPolice Scotland will this week target those who in the region still think it is acceptable to use a mobile phone or other distraction device whilst driving on our roads. Local Dumfries and Galloway Roads Policing Inspector Campbell Moffat said: “It is extremely disappointing that drivers are still prepared to put the lives of both themselves and other road users at risk by using such devices while they are driving. There can be no excuse, as there was widespread public knowledge of the change in the law which saw penalties increase in March this year to £200 and six penalty points. . Beginning today, Road Policing Officers will focus efforts to look out for anyone breaking the law, and my advice is to simply either switch off your phone entirely while driving, or only make or answer a call if you are parked. Remember, using such a device if you are stopped at lights, or stuck in traffic congestion, is still breaking the law and if you are seen doing it by Police Officers, you will be charged, so don’t risk it.”last_img read more

More training for taxi operators during off season

first_img Share The Combine Taxi Association of Dominica has announced that it will spend more resources on training taxi operators when the 2013/2014 cruise season closes.The off season begins on Monday April 28, 2014 after the final call for the 2013/2014 season on Sunday.According to public relations officer of the Association Jenner Guiste, training of taxi operators is critical to the development of the tourism industry.The Association has a membership of over two hundred and sixty (260) taxi operators.“During the off season we take some time to retrain our members and we do that together with the Discover Authority because it’s mandatory, that you go to the state college after a few years”.He said the Association has tried to avert taxi operators going to the Dominica State College for training by conducting its own training sessions.“We expect to spend some more resources on training during the off season,” he said.The topics which will form part of the training include flora and fauna, the Waitukubuli National Trail and the Botanic Gardens.They will be sent to the Discover Dominica Authority for its recommendations and or additions.“We also train them on their own personal hygiene, we train them on different illnesses, prostate cancer which is very prevalent among black men, among other things,” he said.Meanwhile, a taxi operator Jefferson Pierre who stated that the 2013/2014 cruise season “went fairly well” called on taxi operators to be more disciplined.“I think we need to be more disciplined to help each other to get more out of the business”.“I think if we can start doing that from next season we can start going somewhere but if the same attitude stays then we are just going in circles,” Pierre said.Dominica Vibes News LocalNews More training for taxi operators during off season by: – April 25, 2014 11 Views   no discussions Sharecenter_img Tweet Share Sharing is caring!last_img read more

Trump: ‘We are totally prepared’ for military engagement with North Korea

first_img Related ABCNews.com(WASHINGTON) — President Donald Trump indicated again Tuesday a willingness to take military action with regard to North Korea, a day after that country’s foreign minister accused the American president of declaring war.“We are totally prepared for [a military option],” said Trump at a White House press conference with Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy. “Not a preferred option, but if we take that option, it will be devastating.”On Monday, North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho told reporters in New York that after Trump’s remarks at the United Nations last week — in which he threatened to “destroy” the country — “Our country has every right to make countermeasures.”The foreign minister added that such “countermeasures” included “shoot[ing] down United States strategic bombers, even when not inside the airspace border of our country.”The back and forth between Trump and the North Korean government this week continues a months-long war of words between the two countries that has seen North Korea threaten the U.S. territory of Guam and the nation’s leader, Kim Jong Un, call Trump a “dotard” who exhibits “mentally deranged behavior.”“[Kim] is acting very badly,” said Trump at the White House Tuesday. “He is saying things that should never, ever be said, and we’re replying to those things, but it’s a reply. It’s not an original statement. It’s a reply.”Trump also criticized previous administrations, saying that the “situation” with North Korea “should have been handled 25 years ago, 20 years ago, 15 years ago, 10 years ago and five years ago.”“You had various administrations … which left me a mess,” said the president. “But I’ll fix the mess.”Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMaticolast_img read more

Kenyan runner Wambui fears ‘Caster’ rules will end career

first_imgKenya’s Olympic 800 metres bronze medallist Margaret Nyairera Wambui can feel her career slipping away from her, with no idea when, or if, she will be able to compete internationally again.The 24-year-old is one of several star female athletes affected by an International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) ruling this month that requires women with high levels of testosterone to take medication to suppress it.Seated at a dirt-track stadium at the foot of the Ngong Hills outside Nairobi where she trains, Wambui has just returned from a disappointing sixth-place finish in the 800m at the Doha Diamond League.She was meant to leave for the IAAF World Challenge athletics meeting in Nanjing next week, but now her future is one big question mark.“I am very disappointed, I don’t feel even like going on with the training because you don’t know what you are training for,” she told AFP.The new IAAF rules took effect on May 8 after South Africa’s two-time Olympic 800m champion Caster Semenya lost a legal challenge against them.For about a decade Semenya has been the symbol of a furious debate worldwide about questions of gender, women with elevated testosterone, and physical advantage.However other athletes such as Wambui, who finished third behind Semenya in the 800m at the 2016 Rio Olympics, and the silver medallist from Burundi, Francine Niyonsaba, are also affected.The IAAF has maintained that the rules are necessary for fair competition, arguing that athletes with high levels of testosterone benefit from increased bone and muscle strength similar to men who have gone through puberty.However critics highlight that the very nature of elite athletic success is down to one physical advantage or another, such as swimmers with disproportionately big hands or feet, or basketball players who are taller than the average person.“Why, when you have a high level of testosterone in men, you are likely to perform well and we celebrate that? But when it comes to women we have to tell them to lower it and we draw them out of competition. Why?” asked Wambui.“Why don’t we take maybe men with low testosterone and categorise them as women?”The new rule applies to distances from 400m to a mile, and includes the heptathlon, which concludes with an 800m race.Wambui said simply switching to another distance like 5,000m was not possible, with different skills and training needed that would take years to reach elite level.“I am not going to take medication because I am not sick and … those are chemicals you are putting in your body, you don’t know how it will affect you later,” she said.She said that maybe the idea of having different categories of runners — comparing it to boxing, where heavyweights don’t fight flyweights — might be “a good idea to make it fair.”Wambui grew up in Kenya’s central highlands in the town of Nyeri, and began running in primary school. She was thrust into the spotlight when she won a gold medal at the 2014 IAAF world junior championships and has since established herself as one of the world’s top two-lap runners.Running is “something in me, in my blood, it is something I cannot do without. Now they are telling us we can’t compete, we just feel rejected.“We are just natural, we did not dope.”Wambui, who is tall and muscular, with braided hair and a shy smile, said she had never faced questions about her gender or appearance until the IAAF began cracking down on women with elevated testosterone.She said she had been forced to undergo blood tests for doping, but did not know when she had been specifically tested for testosterone levels.“I am worried now about my career,” she said, adding that the ruling had also heaped pressure on her family, for whom she is the only breadwinner.When she is not training, she is a police officer, and works for Kenya’s prison service.Last week Athletics Kenya dropped 100m and 200m champion Maximilla Imali and 400m runner Evangeline Makena from the team for the IAAF World Relays event in Japan over their high levels of testosterone.South Africa plans to appeal the latest IAAF ruling.The IAAF argues its ruling is aimed at creating a “level playing field” and denies accusations it was targeted specifically at Semenya.Wambui said that while Semenya had become a cause celebre in South Africa, fiercely defended by politicians and citizens, she herself had received no support from the Kenyan government.Athletics Kenya official Barnabas Korir told AFP the body supports the IAAF ruling.“This has been a simmering issue especially with our very own athletes having complained about running with these women with excess testosterone,” he said.“We have to be realistic that these athletes have had an advantage over the others.”For more sport your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.last_img read more

Recovering from knife attack, Petra Kvitova back at practice

first_imgAi-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ View comments In this file photo, Petra Kvitova, of the Czech Republic, watches her shot during her women’s singles match against Wang Yafan of China at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing. Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova is back at practice, less than six months after being attacked by a knife-wielding intruder. APTwo-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova is back at practice, less than six months after being attacked by a knife-wielding intruder.Kvitova posted a photo on Instagram on Tuesday (Wednesday Manila time) showing herself swinging a tennis racket .ADVERTISEMENT LIST: Jan. 20 class suspensions due to Taal Volcano eruption LATEST STORIES Wildlife rescuers asked to turn over animals to DENR Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Chot Reyes already fed up with no-show Blatchecenter_img Ex-Bulacan town vice mayor, village chief shot dead Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Palace: Crisis over ABC-CBN franchise unlikely Taal Volcano evacuees warned against going home Palace: Crisis over ABC-CBN franchise unlikely Panelo: Duterte only wants to emulate strong political will of Marcos Bulacan town gears up for biggest cookie jar She included the message: “I hope this picture makes you as happy as it makes me! I am in Monaco and guess what? I’m back on the tennis court, hitting with some proper balls.”Kvitova has missed all season so far while recovering from surgery on her left, racket-holding hand in December. She was injured during an attack at her home in the Czech Republic.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSBreak new groundSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnShe said last month that she was signing up for the French Open, which begins May 28, in hopes of competing. But she wasn’t sure whether she would be ready.Kvitova was the Wimbledon champion in 2011 and 2014. She climbed as high as No. 2 in the WTA rankings.last_img read more