To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The chairman of the Sentencing Council has called on magistrates to send fewer ‘either way’ offences to the Crown court. The number of such cases reaching the Crown court rose from 310,000 in 2007 to 353,000 in 2010. Lord Justice Leveson told the House of Commons Justice Committee last month that the Sentencing Council is recommending that magistrates do not take the prosecution case at its most extreme when deciding whether to hear cases. ‘I hope and believe that magistrates will be more prepared to accept jurisdiction,’ Leveson told MPs. Leveson, who is currently leading the inquiry into regulation of the media, said he would like more to be done to improve public understanding of sentencing. Questioned on the approach to sentencing following the August riots, he stressed that neither the media nor the government had swayed sentencing decisions. ‘Political and other pronouncements about how the courts should sentence did not, as far as I understand it, drive a single sentence,’ he said. He added that the Sentencing Council may in future look at creating fresh guidelines in relation to public disorder.
To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe now for unlimited access
Following record growth figures in 2010 when the Liberian-flag fleet was boosted by 586 new registrations, 149 of which were newbuildings, the 3,500 ship milepost was reached with the registration of the 319,000 dwt oil/ore carrier G Whale.Net growth was 338 ships, aggregating 13.6 million gross tonnes. The average age of the 586 new registrations was 5.46 years, compared to the 17.32 average age of those vessels removed from the registry. The average age of the Liberian-flag fleet is now 12 years. Scott Bergeron, chief operating officer of LISCR, says: “The growth under LISCR management is testament to the quality of service and responsiveness provided by the Liberian Registry. Furthermore, throughout the course of this rapid expansion, Liberia’s Port State Control performance and its safety record with all independent rating bodies has been outstanding. We will continue to seek further selective, planned growth of our quality fleet, the average age of which is falling significantly as more and more owners join the registry.”
Several African leaders gather in Johannesburg for BRICS Outreach Dialogue BRICS is a group of five major emerging national economies – namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.At an informal meeting in the South African city on Friday, their leaders agreed to work together for a future of inclusive growth and common prosperity.President Xi urged the group to uphold the BRICS spirit, deepen strategic partnerships and safeguard common interests. He also asked the leaders to boost cooperation in infrastructure, trade and investment, as well as monetary and financial policy.As part of an outreach dialogue, the BRICS leaders joined those from other African nations to discuss ways to advance cooperation. President Xi called for an expansion of the dialogue – known as “BRICS Plus” – to include other emerging market and developing countries. President Xi urges BRICS leaders to forge new path towards closer cooperation BRICS Summit 2018:Leaders sign Johannesburg declaration Related
Image Credit D&G Police AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInPOLICE OFFICERS are appealing for witnesses after a park bench was discovered damaged at Castledykes Park, Dumfries about 0830 hrs on the morning of 07 July 2019.Additionally,over the weekend of 06/07 July a number of of reports were made to Police of groups of Youths causing a disturbance, loitering in parks and allegedly consuming alcohol.A Police Spokesperson stated “This disruption and anti social behaviour has an affect on communities throughout Dumfries and those who attend our communal open spaces to enjoy them at all times of the year. The alleged consumption of alcohol by Youths is also of concern. Our joint summer patrols with Community’s Safety Officers, DG Youth Workers and Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Officers will continue over the summer months to combat such behaviour. We ask all parents consider the whereabouts of their children and what they may be up to when they disappear out the front door each evening.”You can Contact the Police by calling the 101 number
Galileo is Europe’s civil global satellite navigation system. It will allow users worldwide to know their exact position in time and space with great precision and reliability. Once complete, the system will consist of 24 operational satellites and the ground infrastructure for the provision of positioning, navigation and timing services.The Galileo programme is funded and owned by the EU. The European Commission has the overall responsibility for the programme, managing and overseeing the implementation of all programme activities.Galileo’s deployment, the design and development of the new generation of systems and the technical development of infrastructure are entrusted to ESA. The definition, development and in-orbit validation phases were carried out by ESA, and co-funded by ESA and the European Commission.The European Global Navigation Satellite System Agency (GSA) is ensuring the uptake and security of Galileo. Galileo operations and provision of services will be entrusted to the GSA from 2017. The ESA (European Space Agency) has launched four additional Galileo satellites, accelerating deployment of the new satellite navigation system. Galileo is the global navigation satellite system (GNSS) that is currently being created by the European Union (EU) through the European Space Agency (ESA) and the European GNSS Agency (GSA). The Ariane 5 rocket, operated by Arianespace, lifted off from Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana carried the Galileo satellites 15 – 18. This mission brings the Galileo system satellite count to 18 satellites.The Satellites reached their target altitude, after a flawless release from the new dispenser designed to handle four satellites. Over the next few days, engineers will nudge the satellites into their final working orbits and begin tests to ensure they are ready to join the constellation. This process is expected to take about six months.The satellites already in orbit will allow the European Commission to declare the start of initial services, expected towards year’s end. The previous 14 satellites were launched two at a time using the Soyuz–Fregat rocket.After this successful launch, ESA can now rely on Ariane 5 expecting a quicker Galileo deployment. Two additional Ariane 5 launches are scheduled in 2017 and 2018. The full system of 24 satellites plus spares is expected to be in place by 2020.
Sylatech, a British components manufacturer, has won a large 10-year contract worth £13.2 million with SAAB, for production of antenna boards for their AMB Giraffe product range. This growth plan got off to a flying start and a firm strategic alliance was formed with Swedish colleagues from SAAB. To support this growth in business, Sylatech has announced the opening of its new Microwave Production facility adjoining its existing factory in Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire, England.On the back of this contract, Sylatech had an immediate demand to increase production capacity and this included infrastructure as well as people. With the support of Ryedale District Council, planning consent was obtained in haste, and a new facility was developed and running with live production within 6 months of the first digger arriving on site. Hans Larsson, of Strategic Sourcing at SAAB was also present for the Kirkbymoorside facility launch.This growth is in line with Sylatech’s ambitious expansion plan to grow its core business by a minimum of £1 million per annum for the next 5 years, which equates to approximately 15% year-on-year growth. Last year Sylatech saw its business grow by 20% to a turnover of £7.1 million and this year the company expects to grow by a further 20%. They are re-investing heavily into business-critical infrastructure to ensure that the business is suitably equipped to deliver its long-term growth. Sylatech has a very strong and diverse customer base and majors in the aerospace, space and defence markets with key prime customers including Airbus, Rockwell Collins, Thales and Cobham and has a plethora of other business developments underway.Sylatech was also recently awarded a £1.4 million contract to supply lightweight components to a customer in the US for satellites, and are also securing a £1 million deal to supply parts to a new aerospace customer. The company has also undertaken a Knowledge Transfer Partnership with the University of York in the development of a medical imaging system which they plan to progress to clinical trials within the next 9 months.
Click here to learn more about this IoT FEM. Skyworks has introduced a new LTE-M/NB-IoT front-end solution for low-power, low-data rate Internet of Things (IoT) applications that provide global coverage. The SKY68020-11 is designed to meet the most difficult network operator band specifications, this advanced multi-band front-end module is system-on-chip (SoC) agnostic and offers broad frequency range and excellent harmonic performance. Target customers for this RFFE include LTE-M and NB-IoT device manufacturers developing global SKUs for both fixed and mobile wireless IoT products.The SKY68020-11 is a hybrid, multi-band multi-chip RF front-end (RFFE) module supporting cellular LTE-M/NB-IoT (half-duplex system) transceiver platforms. The module integrates the entire RF front end necessary for an LTE multi-band radio operating in low-band (5, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 71, and 85), and mid-band (1, 2, 3, 4, 25, 39, 66, and 70) frequencies, including Rx low-pass filters, broadband PA with bias controller, Tx low-pass harmonic filter, antenna switch, and MIPI RFFE controller.Key features include: Output power: +24 dBm, optimized to support LTE for 1 RB to 6 RB Broadband PA supporting APT mode of operation or Vcc fixed supply: 2.85 V to 4.5 V Integrated Tx low-pass filters for optimized harmonic rejection Integrated SP6T antenna Tx/Rx switch Integrated Rx low-pass filters for out-of-band rejection Two broadband, high-power AUX ports for additional band support Low leakage current: 0.4 uA Adaptive biasing scheme for maximum PA efficiencies MIPI RFFE control interface, 2.0 compliant Pin-to-pin compatible with the SKY68000-31, SKY68001-31, and SKY68001-41 Operating temperature range: -40°C to +85°C Small, low-profile package (4 mm x 5 mm x 0.9 mm) (MSL3 @ 260 °C per JEDEC J-STD-020)
By ESTEVAN MEDRANOPort Isabel-South Padre Presspress@portisabelsouthpadre.comIn the weeks leading up to the Port Isabel election, city commission meeting attendance has increased from a handful of regular attendees to a near or above full capacity presence of local residents. Before City Attorney Robert Collins could begin making a summary of previously held mediation meeting regarding the future of the City’s annexation boundaries with Brownsville, the tone of Wednesday’s city commission meeting soon turned sour due to simmering tensions among the City’s commission members.The tension began when Commissioner Juan “J.J.” Zamora accused Mayor Joe E. Vega of wasting taxpayer money by seeking two additional lawyers for City representation for, in his opinion, unnecessary legal proceedings. He also said the mayor deserved no credit for the City’s ability to settle the matter of Brownsville’s “illegal annexation” in court simply by not signing the original annexation agreement between the two municipalities. The mayor responded to the commissioner’s accusations by saying Zamora had given “false information, like he has always done in the past” and that the minutes from previous meetings reflect that the commission agreed as a unit on the annexation terms.As the commission moved down the agenda, discussions of the second item — regarding the legal proceedings currently against the City — soon overtook the entire meeting. City Manager Edward Meza recommended the continued legal counsel of two additional attorneys for the representation of the City and its commission, but Commissioner Martin C. Cantu had harsh words for the lack of a special meeting on the subject being called beforehand to discuss the issue.“You had a whole week to schedule a special meeting to seek approval for the hiring of attorneys and you never did,” said Cantu. “You and your own decided to incur thousands of dollars in legal expenses that the City does not have to have three lawyers represent the City and the commissioners in this lawsuit,” he said. “This is wrong and this is illegal… All these lawyers did during the hearing is repeat what each of them was arguing to the judge and then they lost. You lost,” he said.Cantu made a motion to not hire the additional attorneys — Frank Perez and Michael Cowen — which was seconded by Zamora. The mayor repeatedly sought legal counsel from City attorney Robert Collins on whether many of the procedures occurring during the meeting were legally permissible, including the authority for providing counsel for the commissioners who have been sued. Collins responded by referring to Article 38.01 of the City Ordinance to proceed with the vote to approve the action. Cantu described the action as “lies.”Article 38.01 concerns attorney fees incurred by city commissioners and is written in the City of Port Isabel Code of Ordinances as follows: “The City shall assume liability for reasonable attorney’s fees incurred by City Commissioners who have been sued in their individual capacities for action taken while they are members of the City Commission and acting in that capacity at the time the acts took place. The City Commission retains the right to determine whether the attorney’s fees are reasonable and only assumes liability for attorney’s fees determined to be reasonable by the City Commission. The City Commission also retains the right to determine whether or not the Commissioner involved was acting for and on behalf of the city at the time the acts took place.”Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here. RelatedCity to undergo forensic auditBy DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press firstname.lastname@example.org The Port Isabel City Commission unanimously approved a motion to conduct a forensic audit of the City’s finances during Tuesday’s commission meeting, though the measure was not without some debate. The item was added to the agenda by Commissioner Juan Jose “J.J.” Zamora.…November 13, 2015In “News”ON HOLD: PI barred from holding meetings until ousted commissioners issue resolvedBy ESTEVAN MEDRANO Port Isabel-South Padre Press email@example.com To view a copy of the case summary or the petition click here. Port Isabel Commissioners Juan Jose “J.J.” Zamora and Martin C. Cantu who were recently dismissed from office following a majority vote by the City Commission, have filed an injunction against…April 24, 2015In “News”Annexation plans continueBy DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press firstname.lastname@example.org Plans to annex a portion of Laguna Heights into the City of Port Isabel continued apace this week as the Port Isabel City Commission approved the first reading of the annexation ordinance. “It’s the property in Laguna Heights that goes up to Roy…December 8, 2017In “News” Share