Man With Three Names Now In Federal Custody

first_img Share Court last Wednesday. Independent/T. E. McMorrowThe man known by East Hampton Town police as Jose Torres, and by the Federal Bureau of Investigation as William Wilfredo Janders-Rodriguez, apparently has a third name. “My name is Casada,” he told a reporter as he was being led away from the East Hampton Town Justice Court on August 8. At that moment, he was in the custody of the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department. That was about to change.In court, the case of the People of the State of New York v Jose Torres had been, essentially, dropped, as East Hampton Town Justice Steven Tekulsky agreed to adjourn the case for one year “in contemplation of dismissal.” Torres had been originally charged with criminal mischief for allegedly smashing up the dashboard of an acquaintance’s car. That charge was brought as a felony. He was initially arraigned in East Hampton on that charge on July 6.However, there was an arrest warrant for the man known to the Feds as Janders-Rodriguez. He had been indicted by a Federal grand jury on a charge of being a violent felon who had illegally re-entered the country after being deported as such. It was the second time he has faced that charge.He had served six years in New York State prison for armed robbery in which the victim was injured, after which, in 2002, he was deported back to his native El Salvador. He then re-entered the country illegally, was caught, and, in 2011, pleaded guilty to the violent felony charge, and was sentenced to 57 months in federal prison, after which he was again deported.At some point after that, he returned illegally, according to the Feds. He was indicted on that charge in March, and faces up to 20 years if convicted. Before that could happen, however, the local charge needed to be dealt with. Matthew D’Amato, an attorney from the Legal Aid Society who represented the man known on the local docket as Jose Torres, was adamant in open court sessions in East Hampton that his client would not take a plea.Last Wednesday, the district attorney’s office threw in the towel by agreeing to what is termed an ACOD. Such an adjournment means that if the defendant stays out of trouble with the law for a prescribed period of time, in this case one year, the charge will be dropped.If Torres or Janders-Rodriguez gets in trouble, it will likely be while in custody, which, in his case, would not be the first time. While serving his time upstate following the armed robbery conviction, he was charged and convicted of an illegal weapon in prison charge. Twenty-four hours after receiving his ACOD, federal marshals picked him up. He is now being held in the Federal Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn.When prisoners are brought from county jail to court, they are allowed to wear their own clothing, instead of prison garb, if they so choose. Last Wednesday, the man known locally as Torres wore a suit with a purple dress shirt underneath the jacket. As he was being led from the court, a reporter had the following exchange with him: “How are you doing?” the reporter asked.“How are you?” he responded back, smiling. “Good,” the reporter said. “Is your name Janders-Rodriguez or Torres?” the reporter asked.“No. My name is Casada. William Casada. William Wilfredo Honduras Casada.”“Are you concerned with possibly having to go to federal prison?”He responded, “Yes, I am. Thank you very much.” He was speaking in a very polite, almost friendly tone. He was asked if he would ever return to the U.S. “Would I return?” he answered. “No, sir. Thank you.”[email protected]last_img read more

Singapore to allow LNG buyers to import 10 pct supply from spot market

first_imgSingapore’s gas customers will be allowed to import up to 10 percent of their annual long-term quantity from the spot market, according to the country’s trade and industry minister, S. Iswaran. The minister revealed in his speech at an LNG event on Tuesday in Singapore that the Energy Market Authority “will allow interested parties to import spot LNG cargoes for domestic use after the conclusion of BG’s exclusive franchise.”Under the spot LNG import policy, gas buyers would be given annual credits to import up to 10 percent of the total long-term contracted quantities in the form of spot cargoes, Iswaran said.He added that Singapore is is the second stage of the post-3 mtpa request for proposal process.Currently, BG Group that was recently acquired by Shell is the exclusive gas aggregator for the first 3 mtpa of LNG.Three companies have been shortlisted for the second tranche of LNG supplies. Two companies out of Pavilion Gas, Sembcorp Industries and Shell will become Singapore’s next LNG importers.Singapore’s Secondary Gas Trading Market (SGTM) will additionally allow gas users to on-sell excess gas which would lead to price discovery and move the country to its goal of becoming a regional hub, Iswaran added.Furthermore, he noted that Singapore’s LNG trading sector has been going through a period of growth with more than 30 LNG companies present in the country.The government is also engaged in developing the gas trading hub through the enhancement of the LNG infrastructure for energy security and to support a wide spectrum of ancillary LNG activities. LNG World News Stafflast_img read more

Charlie Sheen “Carrying the Torch” for Others Battling HIV

first_imgRodin Eckenroth/FilmMagic(LOS ANGELES) — In a wide-ranging interview with ABC News’ Michael Strahan that aired today on Good Morning America, Charlie Sheen opened up about his public meltdown, and his diagnosis of HIV, the disease that causes AIDS.“I feel like I’m carrying the torch for a lot of folks out there that are suffering from the same thing,” the former Two and a Half Men star explained.“The day I was diagnosed, I immediately wanted to eat a bullet,” Sheen admitted. “But my mom was there, I wouldn’t do that in front of her, or let her find me to clean up that mess.”“But then, something else came over me. They gave me a handful of pills and said, ‘You can go home now, and you’re going to live,’” Sheen said.“If I was there with, you know, brain cancer or, or, a stomach thing, or some meningitis,” Sheen added, “We wouldn’t be sitting here right now.”Sheen said he is “grateful” for the health care he has received since being diagnosed with the disease that effects more than 1.2 million people in the U.S., according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.“I’m so grateful for what was available when it happened,” Sheen said, “and even more grateful for what’s available right now, when I’m, I’m in the middle of it, you know?”Sheen added that some days, “are better than others,” but allows, “most days are pretty frickin’ cool.”Sheen said that he has been a part of a Food and Drug Administration Study for a new HIV treatment, “a medication for a drug called PRO-140.” Sheen added the treatment is in the “late stages” of its trial, and, “very close to being approved.”“It’s not this hideous cocktail that, that, that leads to so many side effects and, and just, just so much disdain, you know, emotionally and physically. It’s one shot a week, and there’s no side effects,” Sheen said.The Major League actor went public with his HIV diagnosis in November 2015, four years after he was first diagnosed. Currently, he told Strahan that he feels “really good.”After a four year film hiatus, Sheen will appear in Mad Families, a comedy about three families from different backgrounds forced to spend a vacation together.The movie debuts on the streaming service Crackle on Thursday.  Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more

RE/MAX sued by tiny rival over name

first_imgA tiny real estate company has sued one of the industry’s biggest players and 1,700 of its agents in Los Angeles over trademark infringement, according to court documents. After Manhattan Beach-based RE/MAX All Cities Realty Inc. refused to drop the All Cities part of the company name, All Cities Realty Inc. of Costa Mesa sued the company, as well as some of its current and former agents, in Los Angeles Superior Court. “This is costing me a ton of money,” said Joseph Miner, who started All Cities Realty in 1996 and is one of two employees. “And it was never about money. We asked them many times for a couple of years to quit using the name.” He does business throughout Southern California. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los AngelesMiner’s suit claims that this RE/MAX office’s use of the name All Cities Realty, starting in 2002, has caused him financial damage of a least $100,000 per defendant. Miner said that about 830 agents have been served. His attorney, Jeffrey F. Sax, said that the vast majority will eventually be served. “They have to maintain a current address with the state so it’s not hard to find them. If we don’t get all of them we’ll get 95 to 98 percent,” he said. Miner has also sued RE/MAX All Cities in federal court. The Superior Court action was necessary because during a federal court proceeding, RE/MAX claimed not to share in revenue from agent commissions, Sax said. RE/MAX attorney David B. Sandelands disputes Sax’s view of why a filing was made in Superior Court. “That’s an incorrect statement,” he said. “That’s as far as I’m willing to go on that matter. He has filed a motion to put the Superior Court case on hold while the federal action proceeds and a hearing has been set for Sept. 26. The federal court case is scheduled to start next April. “We believe the claims lack merit. If this case were to proceed to trial, we believe RE/MAX All Cities will prevail,” Sandelands said. He said that the phrase “All Cities Realty” is just a combination of generic words. RE/MAX All Cities Realty has 14 offices in Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties, including a commercial brokerage office in Woodland Hills. Its Web site says the company now has 700 agents. greg[email protected] (818) 713-3743160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! read more