NEWS SCAN: DHS clears planned BSL-4 lab, Twitter food safety alerts

first_imgMar 2, 2012DHS risk assessment OK’s Kansas site for BSL-4 labThe US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) today released an updated risk assessment for a proposed National Bio and Agro Defense Facility to be built in Manhattan, Kan. The new risk assessment was prompted by a Nov 2010 report from the National Research Council (NRC) that said the earlier risk assessment was incomplete and should be updated and expanded. The site was selected as a biosafety level (BSL)-4 lab, designed to work with the most dangerous pathogens, that would replace the aging Plum Island Animal Disease Center, located off of Long Island, N.Y. The NRC report raised concerns that the larger scale of the lab and its work on larger animals posed new risks that weren’t included in the DHS’s initial risk assessment. Construction was originally scheduled to begin in 2011, but Congress has withheld funding based on pending risk assessment. In a DHS press release today, Tara O’Toole, MD, MPH, undersecretary for science and technology, said the United States is on the frontline of livestock animal research as a means of defending against diseases that could threaten public health. “To address Congressional requirements, this detailed, updated risk assessment reaffirms that we can build a safe and secure facility to meet this important mission.” The DHS said the updated risk assessment takes into account NAS recommendations and recent design plans for the facility. It said the new assessment satisfies Congressional demands and that the design goes beyond industry risk-reduction standards, and it added that the NAS will provide an independent assessment of the latest report. A Feb 14 ScienceInsider story said the BSL-4 lab had been left out of the 2013 federal budget, but funds may be available in 2014.Mar 2 DHS press releaseNov 15, 2010, CIDRAP News storyFeb 14 ScienceInsider storyFSIS launches state-specific food safety tweetsThe US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) yesterday launched a state-specific Twitter plan to alert consumers in individual states to food safety threats affecting meat, poultry, and processed egg products. The alerts will also include information on how to protect food supplies during and after severe weather events. So far the FSIS has established Twitter streams for residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington, the agency said in a press release. Over the next week it will unveil the streams for the remaining states and territories. Elizabeth Hagen, the USDA’s undersecretary for food safety, said in the release that the alerts provide FSIS with another way to relay information that could help prevent foodborne illnesses. “The immediacy of information-sharing through social media is unparalleled, and we believe these timely, targeted updates will better protect public health,” she said.Mar 1 FSIS press releaselast_img read more

CPV Manufacturing counterfeit alert

first_imgSubscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.last_img

Specialist cabling

first_imgON February 12 Railtrack granted approval for network-wide use of Brand-Rex’s RT/E/PS/00005 standard thermoplastic A4 signalling cable, the firm’s first trackside product. The compact lightweight cable was developed for use with the Train Protection &Warning System and will replace rubber based designs.Brand-Rex has also extended its X-treme Rail product range of hybrid copper and optic fibre cables to cover mass transit applications, including reduced diameter and shorter bend radius cables for use on urban rolling stock.Brand-Rex Ltd, Great BritainReader Enquiry Number 137last_img read more

YLKI Minta Pemerintah Hilangkan Bilik Rokok di Dalam Bus AKAP

first_img(detik.com) Sebagai bagian dari fasilitas, bus antar kota antar provinsi (AKAP) tak sedikit yang dilengkapi dengan bilik khusus merokok. Kehadirannya sendiri di bus AKAP guna memudahkan penumpang yang merokok dan agar tidak mengganggu penumpang lainnya yang tidak merokok. Selain itu membebaskan penumpang dari penumpang dari risiko sebagai perokok pasif.Baca juga: Masih Adakah Bilik Rokok di Dalam Bus?Namun, kehadiran bilik merokok sendiri tidak menutup kemungkinan penumpang lainnya bisa mencium dan menghirup asap rokok. Biasanya hal ini terjadi karena sekat untuk bilik tidak terpasang dengan benar dan pintu pemisah rusak serta belum diperbaiki oleh agen atau PO bus itu. Baru-baru ini Yayasan Lembaga Konsumen Indonesia (YLKI) menyoroti ketersediaan fasilitas bilik rokok tersebut. Pasalnya, YLKI mendapat masukan, keluhan dan menjumpai secara langsung bilik rokok dalam bus AKAP, ironisnya hal itu terdapat dalam bus DAMRI dan Bus Trans Jawa. Tak hanya itu, pihak YLKI pun melihat, sebagai pengguna angkutan umum, khususnya bus AKAP dimana konsumen atau penumpang berhak mendapat keamanan, keselamatan dan kenyamanan selama menggunakannya.Ketua pengurus harian YLKI Tulus Abadi mengatakan, keberadaan bilik atau area merokok dalam bus adalah anti regulasi karena melanggar peraturan. Dia menyebutkan dalam Pasal 115 Undang-undang No.36/2009 tentang Kesehatan, menyebutkan bahwa angkutan umum adalah Kawasan Tanpa Rokok dan dilarang keras ada area merokok. Ketentuan ini juga ada dalam PP No.109/2012 tentang pengamanan rokok sebagai zat adiktif.YLKI sendiri meminta Dirjen Perhubungan Darat Kementerian Perhubungan Republik Indonesia untuk melarang atau membatalkan ruang merokok di semua bus AKAP. Selain itu juga mematuhi regulasi yakni UU tentang kesehatan dan PP No.109/2012.“Contohlah PT KAI yang sukses dan konsisten menerapkan kereta api tanpa rokok, selama dalam perjalanannya. Tak kenal KA jarak pendek, atau KA jarak jauh,” ujar Tulus yang dikutip KabarPenumpang.com dari liputan6.com (23/2/2019).Tulus meminta semua pihak untuk konsisten dalam melindungi konsumen atau penumpang yang tidak merokok, terbebas dari kontaminasi racun asap rokok baik langsung atau tidak langsung.“Lagipula, armada bus yang akan cepat kumuh, kumal dan lebih cepat menjadi bus rongsok akibat dampak asap rokok dari bilik merokok itu. Salah-salah armada bus terbakar oleh perilaku merokok penumpang yang acap teledor dan sembrono,” tutupnya.Sebenarnya beberapa bus antar kota yang berseliweran di DKI masih memiliki ruang khusus merokok hingga tahun 2014 lalu. Namun, semenjak adanya Peraturan Daerah Propinsi DKI Jakarta No.5/2014 mengenai transportasi, bus antar kota tidak memiliki lagi areal ruang merokok di dalamnya.Baca juga: Berani Langgar Aturan, Tak Ada Ampun Bagi Perokok di Dalam KeretaPadahal, dalam bus antar kota yang berseliweran di DKI saat itu, ruangan khusus perokok sudah mendapat izin yang pasti dan segi keamanannya sudah diperhitungkan. Untuk larangan kawasan tanpa rokok sudah di atur dalam Peraturan Pemerintah No.13/2003 tentang pengamanan rokok bagi kesehatan, pada Pasal 22-25 terdapat peraturan Kawasan Tanpa Rokok (KTR). Selain itu di UU No.36/2009 tentang kesehatan, pada Pasal 115 ayat 1 dan 2 tentang Kawasan Tanpa Rokok dan kewajiban Pemda menetapkanShare this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… Relatedlast_img read more

Newcastle United have ‘held several conversations’ about investment in another club

first_imgThe Spanish manager sounds tired of his situation at the club and the long wait for someone to purchase the business from Mike Ashley. Every step forward seems to be quickly followed by another backwards and there’s a general gloom around the place.Therefore, Newcastle don’t seem like the obvious target for a club wanting to find investment.Belgian newspaper HLN reports on Saturday that KV Oostende owner Peter Callan is looking for investors in the club and wants to sell shares.Newcastle and those seeking the money have ‘held several conversations’, but there’s nothing ‘concrete’ at the moment, although it’s not seen as a dead end. Callan has also contacted Spanish club Valencia, and the situation is the same with them, whilst investments from Belgian business owners have been easier to find.There’s no explanation of what Newcastle would get out of any potential partnership.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayForge of Empires – Free Online GameIf You Like to Play, this City-Building Game is a Must-Have. No Install.Forge of Empires – Free Online GameUndoRaid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadEven Non-Gamers Are Obsessed With This RPG Game (It’s Worth Installing!)Raid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadUndoKeto减肥1個簡單的妙招一夜「融化」腹部贅肉(今晚試試)Keto减肥UndoCNBC InternationalHere’s How Big Businesses in Singapore Are Managing the Impact of COVID-19.CNBC InternationalUndoPerfect-Dating.comReveal Tung Chung As The Best City to Date for Love & RomancePerfect-Dating.comUndoDating.comTop Successful Single Men in Tung ChungDating.comUndoCoworking Space | Search AdsThe cost of shared office in Hong Kong might surprise youCoworking Space | Search AdsUndoStanChart by CNBC CatalystWill Blockchain Reduce the Global Trade Finance Gap to Reach the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals?StanChart by CNBC CatalystUndoTheTopFiveVPNEnjoy Netflix Now Without Any RestrictionsTheTopFiveVPNUndo Newcastle United are in danger of being dragged into a relegation battle which Rafael Benitez appears to feel has been inevitable, short of miracles.last_img read more

Tillerson to visit Myanmar amid violence against Muslim minority

first_imgABCNews.com(WASHINGTON) — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is heading to Myanmar amid continued hostilities towards Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar’s Rakhine province.His visit comes after spending several days with President Donald Trump at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit in Manila, Philippines.According to senior State Department officials, Tillerson plans to push for a democratic transition in Myanmar and call on Burmese lawmakers to resolve conflict and stop the displacement in the Rakhine state.Tillerson’s visit comes during what United Nations officials have described as “a textbook example of ethnic cleansing” of the Rohingya Muslim minority.The ethnic group has faced oppression in the predominantly Buddhist area for years. However, since August 25, when a group of Rohingya Muslim insurgents known as the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army launched attacks on Burmese authorities, the retaliatory crackdown has been brutal, U.N. officials said, with allegations of killings, rape and widespread violence, causing an estimated 600,000 Rohingya to seek refuge in Bangladesh.Last week, the United Nations Security Council called upon the government of Myanmar to ensure no further excessive use of military force in Rakhine State, to restore civil administration and apply rule of law, and to take immediate steps in accordance with their obligations and commitments to respect human rights.In a report on its Facebook page, the Myanmar Military cleared itself of any role in the abuse of the Rohingya, reporting that the atrocities are at the hands of ARSA Bengali terrorists. Human rights organization Amnesty International has slammed the military’s report, labeling it an attempted “whitewash” of the injustices against the Rohingya Muslim minority.Tillerson met with Myanmar’s de-facto civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi in Manila this week at the ASEAN summit. The pair didn’t answer reporters’ questions on the conflict in Rakhine, but are expected to meet again tomorrow to address the situation.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more