Share Share Share Tweet Sharing is caring! 27 Views 2 comments LocalNews Opposition questions National Employment Program by: – November 19, 2013 Political Leader, Lennox LintonPolitical leader of the United Workers Party (UWP), Lennox Linton has questioned the government’s decision to launch a National Employment Program on December 2, 2013.Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit revealed at a press conference on Friday, November 15 that the National Employment Program costing in excess of nine million dollars will target four hundred unemployed youth, for employment opportunities within the public and private sector.The business firms will provide the employment and training to these young people, however they will be paid by the government.“For fourteen years, we have not heard this government ever mention at all that it believes that there is a strategic, methodical approach to lifting this economy to higher heights and to putting it in a position, rather than losing jobs to be creating jobs, to be gaining jobs,” Linton stated.Linton, who recently revealed at a Jobs & Economic Forum held by his party last month that when elected they will create five thousand jobs within the first three years, said they’ve “taken on this responsibility because the government has not done it”.The UWP has also embarked on a Coast to Coast in 25 initiative; visiting all twenty-one constituencies within twenty-five days to hear the concerns of the people.“We have started putting our plans together, we are seeing the clear possibility of being able to create five thousand jobs within the first three years of a United Workers Party administration and all of a sudden, all of a sudden, this government that has not bothered about job creation for fourteen years, all of a sudden knows it can use eight million dollars of money that is sitting there to employ four hundred people”. Within the National Employment Program, there will be a special employment program for returning university graduates in the Kalinago Territory, the Prime Minister noted.These university graduates, about seven graduates, will be attached to the Ministry of Carib Affairs and stationed in the Kalinago Territory.Dominica Vibes News
Share The Combine Taxi Association of Dominica has announced that it will spend more resources on training taxi operators when the 2013/2014 cruise season closes.The off season begins on Monday April 28, 2014 after the final call for the 2013/2014 season on Sunday.According to public relations officer of the Association Jenner Guiste, training of taxi operators is critical to the development of the tourism industry.The Association has a membership of over two hundred and sixty (260) taxi operators.“During the off season we take some time to retrain our members and we do that together with the Discover Authority because it’s mandatory, that you go to the state college after a few years”.He said the Association has tried to avert taxi operators going to the Dominica State College for training by conducting its own training sessions.“We expect to spend some more resources on training during the off season,” he said.The topics which will form part of the training include flora and fauna, the Waitukubuli National Trail and the Botanic Gardens.They will be sent to the Discover Dominica Authority for its recommendations and or additions.“We also train them on their own personal hygiene, we train them on different illnesses, prostate cancer which is very prevalent among black men, among other things,” he said.Meanwhile, a taxi operator Jefferson Pierre who stated that the 2013/2014 cruise season “went fairly well” called on taxi operators to be more disciplined.“I think we need to be more disciplined to help each other to get more out of the business”.“I think if we can start doing that from next season we can start going somewhere but if the same attitude stays then we are just going in circles,” Pierre said.Dominica Vibes News LocalNews More training for taxi operators during off season by: – April 25, 2014 11 Views no discussions Share Tweet Share Sharing is caring!
LONDON (AP):A wide-open north London derby fizzing with tension and littered with errors highlighted flaws that show why Arsenal and Tottenham are some way off from challenging for the English Premier League title.A 2-2 draw allowed the neighbours, though, to take some comfort yesterday heading into the international break by avoiding back-to-back Premier League losses.While Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino continues to fuel a sense of unease around the club, counterpart Unai Emery is working on forging stability at Arsenal.Tottenham rued throwing away a two-goal lead built by Christian Eriksen’s tap-in after Bernd Leno’s weak parrying of Erik Lamela’s shot and Harry Kane’s penalty after Granit Xhaka’s foolhardy challenge on Son Heung-min.“We played with our heart, sometimes more than our head,” Arsenal manager Unai Emery said. “We need the balance. We need to be clearer in our mind. We made some mistakes.”So did Tottenham.Alexandre Lacazette, in a front three alongside Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, and summer signing Nicolas Pepe, began the Arsenal comeback in first-half stoppage time by exploiting Tottenham’s frailties in defence where Davinson Sanchez was the makeshift right back.“I was a little bit ashamed to concede before halftime,” Pochettino said.And Aubameyang was gifted space to drift through the defence to meet Matteo Guendouzi’s pass to recover the point in the 71st minute.“I’m a little disappointed,” Tottenham striker Harry Kane said. “When you go 2-0, up you expect to win, whoever you are playing.”Not perhaps when you are a Tottenham side visiting the Emirates Stadium where they have not won in the league since 2010.Still, four games into the season, Tottenham have left both champions Manchester City and Arsenal with draws after losing both games against them last season.
Super Rugby has confronted numerous problems during its 25 years, but experts warn the coronavirus pandemic may prove a knockout blow for the southern hemisphere’s premier club competition.With 15 teams in five countries straddling 16 time zones from Buenos Aires and Cape Town to Sydney and Christchurch it has long been criticised as unwieldy, expensive to run and exhausting for elite players.Now virus-related travel bans have put the competition in limbo, leaving administrators scrambling to set up locally-based alternatives that do not require international travel.ALSO READ: Could local derbies save the Super Rugby season?While officials say Super Rugby is on hold “for the foreseeable future”, in reality they are preparing for the season to be scrapped.Sanzaar admitted that would place the governing body and its constituent unions “in a precarious position”, as broadcasters have paid huge sums for the rights to cover the game.“Without that revenue, without the ability to be playing in front of stadiums that have crowds, it all does have a direct impact on the bottom line,” Sanzaar chief executive Andy Marinos told Newshub.“That’s something I know the national unions are dealing with all of their clubs and then indirectly with all their governments.”Short-term plans are focused on staging local derbies in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, with Japan’s Sunwolves potentially part of the Australian competition and the Jaguares of Argentina based in Africa.However, that may not satisfy broadcasters.New Zealand’s Sky Network Television noted in a market update this week that “the company has options to recover some costs associated with sports content rights”.Australia-based sports consultancy firm Global Media & Sports (GMS) said Sanzaar’s members were in no position to pay back tens of millions of dollars in broadcasting revenues.“I doubt any of the unions could afford to do that, I’d wager that most of that money has been spent already, or at least allocated,” GMS managing director Colin Smith told AFP.Given Super Rugby’s myriad structural problems, Smith said, the virus-enforced shutdown would raise questions about its future, with the makeshift local derby matches potentially forming the nucleus of new national competitions.“It’s been very, very expensive and there’s an argument for the unions to say ‘Is this something we should continue with, can we afford it?’,” he said.“It goes to the future of the competition.”Super Rugby began with 12 teams in 1996 but its format has undergone almost constant tinkering in the past decade, testing the loyalty of fans.Over-ambitious expansion plans have been followed by the painful axing of Australia’s Force, the Cheetahs and Kings in South Africa, as well as the Sunwolves at the end of this season.The Cheetahs and Kings both joined Europe’s Pro14 competition and there has been persistent speculation all of South Africa’s teams could ditch Super Rugby for a more lucrative and time zone-friendly switch to the northern hemisphere.In Australia, the game has been flatlining in the face of keen competition from other sports, notably rugby league and Australian Rules, after years of poor onfield performances.Rugby Australia has suspended negotiations on a new broadcast deal due to the virus crisis, with reports it had received little interest anyway.“This couldn’t have come at a worse time for them,” Smith said.Despite the issues, New Zealand Rugby chief executive Mark Robinson insisted Super Rugby was viable in the long term.“We’re a world-class competition, as we’ve seen in recent times the quality of the rugby has been outstanding,” he told reporters.“So we believe it’s a competition that’s got a future, what that might look like is something that we’re always revisiting and looking at.”For more sport your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.